viernes, 31 de agosto de 2012

Bryan Carter, Enchantment (Imaginate, 2011)


Last June a jazz workshop took place at University Sergio Arboleda in Bogotá, Colombia. Among the lecturers were drummer Bryan Carter and his father, Ronald Carter, well known saxophonist and jazz educator. My radio coleagues had the chance to interview them, and after a nice chat Bryan kindly gave them his debut album “Enchantment” to include it into our station’s jazz programming records. I couldn’t meet the Carters personally when they came to Bogotá, but I was assigned to do the radio show introducing Bryan’s album, which I really enjoyed.

The album has eight compositions all written and arranged by Bryan Carter, except for “I see you” and “Rat trace”, by his band mates Philip Kuehn and Mathew Jodrell respectively. Very good mainstream can be listened on Enchantment, bebop and hardbop made on these days. Though Carter is a very young drummer his quintet sounds surprisingly mature; it expresses quite well Bryan´s enchantment by jazz and his passion for it. He just graduated from Julliard and has already performed at several jazz venues in NY, Chicago, St. Louis and abroad the U.S.

The band is a group of talented people, together they achieve an always harmonic sound that goes from soft passages with a few notes, to hot solos with very well constructed melodies, specially those by Jodrell and Viner. Bryan Carter is definitely a promising composer and drummer, for sure we will hear more from his creative mind in the future. I would also recommend checking out other works by his bandmates.

Personnel: Bryan Carter (drums), Donald Vega (piano), Mat Jodrell (trumpet), Philip Kuehn (bass), Jeremy Viner (sax), 

Find out more at www.bryancartermusic.com

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario